NACElink Connect FAQs
- How do I change my username or password?
- How do I upload my resume or cover letter?
- I can’t submit my resume—what am I doing wrong?
- How can I revise my resume?
- Can I just keep writing over the same cover letter?
- How do I search for jobs?
- How do I submit my resume for a job?
- How do I search for a particular employer online?
- How can I search? What criteria can I use?
- How do I create a Search Agent?
- How do I retrieve the Search Agent I created?
- How do I schedule a Search Agent?
- What if I’ve forgotten my password?
- How do I log out securely?
- How do I view which companies I’ve sent my resume and/or cover letter to?
- I find myself in a constant log-in loop when I enter my login information and I am brought back to the same screen. What is happening?
- The system did not save any of the registration information I just completed.
- I cannot register for the first time because the system says an account already exists with my e-mail address. Yet, I can’t use the Forgot Password tool because the system indicates my e-mail address does not exist. What can I do?
- I completed the registration form but I can’t login.
1. I have completed the first time user registration information—how do I access my account?
Once you have completed the registration form, a NACElink Connect Student Registration Confirmation e-mail is sent to the email address you provided on the form. You will need to open this e-mail and click on the verification confirmation link.
2. How do I change my username or password?
To change your username, click on Profile from the navigation bar. Your username will always be an e-mail address, so you will need to edit the “E-mail Address” field under the My Profile tab, in order to change your username.
To change your password, select Profile from the navigation bar. Open the tab that says “Password” and enter your new password twice.
3. How do I upload my resume or cover letter?
To upload a document:
- Select Documents from the navigation bar. Then select [Add New] and browse to locate your document.
- Enter a name for your document in the Label field, (use a name that sounds professional; employers will see it!)
- Use the radial button to select the type of document you are uploading (i.e. Resume, Cover Letter, Transcript...).
- Use “Browse...” to locate your document.
**Please remember that document size cannot exceed 200kb.**
- The document will be ready to use as soon as it converts to a PDF. If you are uploading a PDF file, it will be ready immediately.
- Once the document displays as ' ready' in the Status column, it may be used to apply to jobs.
**NOTE: Employers doing a search of the resume data base may see your primary (default) resume if you choose to make it available to them.**
4. I can’t submit my resume—what am I doing wrong?
Check under “Documents” in your navigation bar to ensure that you have uploaded a resume into the NACElink Connect system. If you are applying for a job in the system, you will see a pull-down menu of all of the resumes you have in the system. If you do not get such a list, you probably do not have any documents uploaded into the system. *For instructions on uploading a document, see question #3.
5. How can I revise my resume?
If you should need to correct a submitted document, you will need to withdraw your submission, upload the revised document, then reapply for the job.
Otherwise, to revise an existing document, go to “Documents” in your navigation bar. Click on the [Edit] icon next to the document, or click on the name of the document.
The document label will be displayed in the label box. You can leave it the same, or you may wish to rename it.
Browse to locate your updated document and [Save].
6. Can I just keep writing over the same cover letter?
Once you submit a cover letter to an employer, you cannot change the copy the employer has received.
You can edit the cover letter that you have stored in your documents.
Go to “Documents” in your navigation bar. Click on the name of the cover letter you wish to edit. Select [EDIT]. The current label will be displayed in the label box. Browse to find the updated version of your cover letter. [Save] the file.
**NOTE: It is wise to keep a copy of the cover letters you have submitted during your job search. If you customize your cover letter for each job, be sure to upload each one with a different name. Choose something related to the job so that you can easily identify it later. If you edit your cover letter but give it the same name as the earlier version, the edited cover letter will not replace any earlier sent documents with the same name.
7. How do I search for jobs?
Choose Jobs from the navigation bar. Enter your job search preferences in the search filters and click the [Apply Search] button.
**NOTE: The more search preferences you select, the more specific—but smaller—your search results will be. To see a lot of job postings, do a very general job search.
8. How do I submit my resume for a job?
In most cases, you will submit your resume through the NACElink Connect system. To do so, follow the instructions in the “Application Status” box that appears in the upper right side of the page where you are viewing the job.
Some employers will direct you to send your resume via fax or e-mail. This is indicated in the “How to Apply” box, also located in the upper right side of the page.
9. How do I search for a particular employer online?
Select “Jobs” from the navigation bar and go under the Job List tab. Next to the “Keywords” field, enter the name of the employer.
10. How can I search? What criteria can I use?
To search for jobs, you will need to click on “Jobs” in your navigation bar.
Under the Job List tab, you can filter jobs by:
Click the Job Title or the “View” icon to view the job details. Click the “Add Favorite” image to add a job to your Favorites list.
The Detailed Search allows you to search by multiple criteria such as Location, Major, Position Type, Work Authorization, etc.
**NOTE: Remember to clear your selections before beginning another search (you can do this by selecting the [Clear] button).
11. How do I create a Search Agent?
Under the Detailed Search tab, select the criteria your Search Agent will be based on (i.e. Desired Start Date, City, State, Job Function, etc) and enter a name for your search in the “Save As” field near the top of the tab. Click [Submit] to run your search.
12. How do I retrieve the Search Agent I created?
All search agents will be saved in the Search Agents tab (next to Advanced Search). Select the appropriate buttons to Schedule, Edit, Run, or Delete your search agent.
13. How do I schedule a Search Agent?
Once you have created a Search Agent, go under the Search Agent tab and click the “Schedule” button.
In the “Enabled” field, select “Yes.”
You can select a time period (day, week, and month) and then a multiple (1, 2, or 3). Your agent will then run according to this schedule. (Example: If you set the Period to “day” and Multiple to “3,” your agent will run every 3 days)
Select [Submit] to save the search agent’s schedule.
14. What if I’ve forgotten my password?
If you have already registered with NACElink Connect and you have forgotten your password, simply go to the NACElink Connect login box and click the “Forgot Password” link.
Enter your e-mail address in the field provided and a new password will be e-mailed to you.
15. How do I log out securely?
Always click on [Logout] in the top right corner of your screen when you are finished. If possible, close your browser after you have logged out.
16. How do I view which companies I’ve sent my resume and/or cover letter to?
In the navigation bar, click on Applications to view all jobs for which you have applied through the NACElink Connect system.
17. I find myself in a constant log-in loop when I enter my login information and I am brought back to the same screen. What is happening?
The reason this is happening is that the cookies in your browser are not enabled—they must be enabled to use NACElink (NOTE: NACElink cookies are deleted from your computer when you logout or close your browser window). The settings for cookies can be found under the “Tools” menu of your browser. Click on Internet Options and the Privacy tab. You can set your cookies preference there. If you are unable to set the cookies preference, please see your career center staff or search for Help topics for your browser.
18. The system did not save any of the registration information I just completed.
If you do not click the “Submit Registration” button, your data will not be saved. Before submitting your registration, be sure you have completed all required fields and accurately entered the verification phrase at the bottom of the registration form.
19. I cannot register for the first time because the system says an account already exists with my e-mail address. Yet, I can’t use the Forgot Password tool because the system indicates my e-mail address does not exist. What can I do?
Typically this means that you did not open the e-mail verification message that is sent when you originally completed the registration form.
If you cannot find the e-mail titled NACElink Connect Student Registration Confirmation, contact your career center and they will notify NACElink. We will reset your account and you can reregister.
20. I completed the registration form but I can’t login.
Go to the email account that you used when registering, and look for an e-mail titled NACElink Connect Student Registration Confirmation. You will need to open this e-mail and click on the enclosed link.